A dog may have saved the lives of its people early Thursday morning when it began barking as a fire broke out, reported Gainesville Fire Rescue.

Operations Chief Michael Cowart said in a press release that the fire occurred at 12:38 a.m. Thursday in a home at 3664 NW 55th Lane.

A faulty electronic panel for a pool pump caused the blaze, which spread up the side of the house into the attic. GFR crews quickly put the fire out and were able to rescue a cat.

Cowart reported that the family had already gotten out of the house by the time firefighters arrived. Smoke alarms had activated, but the couple told firefighters they were awoken by their dog — Gideon, a Shih Tzu/Pomeranian mix.

GFR reminds residents to check their smoke alarms and have an evacuation plan.