32-year-old Candler man remains in critical condition at Ocala hospital.

Sheriff's officials on Thursday said it was a CO2 cartridge that exploded and seriously injured a Candler man on Wednesday.

The 32-year-old man, whose name is not being released by authorities, remained in critical condition on Thursday at Ocala Regional Medical Center.

A 9-1-1 call came in at 3:41 p.m. Wednesday about an incident at a residence in the 11200 block of Southeast 101st Street in Candler. When deputies arrived, the man was lying face up on the ground and bleeding heavily from his neck.

An acquaintance was applying pressure to the man’s neck using a towel. Two deputies gave first aid and also applied pressure on the man’s wounds.

Marion County Fire Rescue medical personnel transported the man to ORMC.

The acquaintance told a deputy that the man had been carrying the CO2 cartridge in his pocket for two days. He said after they finished work for the day, he followed his friend to the home for a drink. He said they were in a garage behind the home when his friend pulled out the cartridge and tried to light it and it exploded.

Contact Austin L. Miller at 867-4118, austin.miller@starbanner.com or @almillerosb.