Riding mower was parked in garage and burst into flames

An 88-year-old Ocala woman was taken to a local hospital for observation on Friday after her riding lawn mower caught fire and the flames spread to her home.

Ashley Lopez, an Ocala Fire Rescue spokeswoman, said the fire occurred in the 1500 block of Northeast 46th Road. She said her agency received the call at 11:05 a.m.

Lopez said fire officials were told that the victim had mowed the lawn and then parked the riding lawn mower in the garage.

Ocala police and fire officials said its unknown how the fire started. Flames spread to the attic, roof and other sections of the home.

A lawn crew saw smoke and went to the woman’s home. They got her and her two dogs out of the burning home, authorities said.

The woman was transported to Ocala Regional Medical Center for precautionary reasons.