Murder suspect wants to testify but at the request of his attorney, was given the night to think about it. His trial for the killing of Hannah Brim continues Wednesday morning

Editor's note: The online version of this story has been changed to correct the spelling of homicide victim Hannah Brim's name.

Nelson Armas left the court hanging late Tuesday afternoon when he said he wanted to defend himself on the stand against charges that he murdered Hannah Brim in 2016, but was given a night to think about it some more.

Circuit Judge Phillip Pena is set to gavel court back into session at 8:30 a.m. Armas, 31, could begin testifying after that.

“I would like to testify,” Armas said when asked by Pena, who then warned Armas that he was waiving a fundamental right to remain silent and will be subject to cross-examination.

Armas slid his head into his hands and looked down as defense attorney Bill Salmon asked Pena for time to talk with his client.

After a short break, Salmon asked Pena to give Armas until Wednesday to decide.

“I think under the circumstances it is a reasonable request to ensure Mr. Armas understands the full breadth of the decision he has to make,” Salmon said.

Pena granted the request.

Earlier in the day Armas’ mother testified that Armas’ then-wife, Bridgette, knew about a month before Brim disappeared and was presumed dead that Armas was in a relationship with Brim.

That knowledge ran counter to the prosecution contention that Armas murdered Brim because she threatened to expose the relationship.

Maria Hernandez said Armas, Brim and Bridgette Armas were at her Orange Heights house on Christmas Day in 2015.

“They talked about it ... It was obvious,” Hernandez said of the relationship.

She denied under cross-examination that she knew that Armas and Brim had an angry argument on Jan. 19 that was spurred by Brim’s threats to tell his wife about the relationship. Armas is accused of killing Brim as a result.

Additional testimony Tuesday included information from police and from a forensic anthropologist called by Salmon. She largely agreed with a report from prosecution forensic experts that DNA and other evidence from the bones are consistent with Brim and with testimony about how her body was handled after she was killed.

Natalie R. Langley, who works for the Mayo Clinic, said the bones appeared to have been burned and one had a mark indicating a large cut on a part of the lumbar column.

Langley agreed with the report that the marks appear to have been made after death rather than from stabbing to cause death. But Langley disagreed with parts of the report, particularly statements about bones that had not been fully analyzed.

“There are things I read in the report that I would not personally put in my own report. But I’m conservative and I only write about the bones I have in front of me,” Langley said. “There were statements about trauma that probably existed on bones that were not discovered or present.”

The trial is now well into its second week.

An informant who was in the Alachua County jail with Armas testified last week that Armas stabbed Hannah Brim in her car on a roadside, put her body in the trunk, drove to his mother’s house and burned it in a pit with wood, tires and motor oil as the fuel.

When the body “didn’t go away” after a few hours of burning, Armas removed her head and hands, put the remains in a black garbage bag and dumped it in a creek along railroad tracks off U.S. 301 in Orange Heights, according to the informant.

Bones were found about two miles north of State Road 26 in an area that had a train trestle over a creek. The location had earlier been searched after a period of heavy rain, including by cadaver dogs trained to find human remains.

Authorities allege Armas killed Brim because she threatened to tell Armas’ wife about their sexual relationship. They homed in on Armas as a suspect because his statements weren't consistent with evidence they were collecting.

Armas was indicted for her murder before Brim’s bones were found. Authorities allege he also burned evidence including Brim’s clothing and floor mats from her car in pits at his mother’s house. Pieces of mats and clothing were found in the pits by crime scene investigators, according to testimony throughout the trial.

Walmart surveillance footage shows Armas leaving Brim’s car in the Walmart parking lot the night of Jan. 19 and returning to retrieve it four days later, prosecutors allege.

Armas reportedly tried unsuccessfully to have Brim’s car sold for parts and then crushed.