Schoolchildren were evacuated for safety Wednesday morning after a smoky haze was seen inside the Language and Literacy Academy, located at 330 Avenue C SE, in Winter Haven.
All students and staff were evacuated and sent to Grace Lutheran, directly across the street, and parents were notified. Winter Haven Fire Department responded to the school.
Although there was no visible fire, a complete sweep of the building was conducted, according to WHPD spokeswoman Jamie Brown.
Tandria Callins, director of LLAL, said the school had air conditioning work done last week, and the school had fumes coming from the ceiling. "We think it's from that," Callins said. "So we evacuated the kids for safety."