Sarasota/Manatee Special Events• Cook Book Tasting. Sept. 8, 10:10 a.m. in Gillespie Hall. Church of the Redeemer, 222 S. Palm Ave. Just in time for Christmas gift-giving, the church is producing a cookbook, "Redeemer Cooks" and recipes will be tasted on Sunday. redeemersarasota.org, 941-955-4263. • Tell me More! Sunday morning class, 10:15 a.m. Church of the Redeemer, 222 S. Palm Ave. Dig deeper into the Sunday scripture readings with this interactive class. For details, contact the parish office, 941-955-4263. • Sunday School. Sept. 8, 9:15 a.m. Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church, 7461 Prospect Road, Sarasota. Classes will be held each week for Ages 3 through 5th grade in the Still Education Building. Classes for Grades 6 through 12 will be held every two weeks beginning Sept. 8 and 22 at 9:15 a.m. with additional dates to be confirmed.
• Book Club. Sept. 9, 6 p.m. at Culvers Restaurant, 2605 University Parkway. The Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church. The group will discuss "Dark Agenda" by New York Times best-selling author, David Horowitz. The book tackles a broad range of issues from prayer in schools to the globalist mindset. Horowitz traces the anti-Christian movement and efforts that are being made to stifle the concept of religious liberty in America. All are welcome. • Books and Beyond. Sept. 10, 7 p.m. Church of the Redeemer, 222 S. Palm Ave., Sarasota. Church's men’s book group will discuss "The Age of Eisenhower: America and the World in the 1950s," by William I. Hitchcock, in Gillespie Hall. 941-955-4263. • Knitting Group. Sept. 10, 10 a.m. Temple Emanu-El, 151 McIntosh Road, Sarasota. Monthly gatherings of Temple Emanu-El’s Mitzvah Knitting Group enables attendees to brighten the lives of others while making new friends. Participants socialize while crafting blankets, caps, and booties for babies; these creations are donated to local groups and needy families in Israel. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. • Joy Company. Beginning Sept. 11, 4-6 p.m. Pine Shores Presbyterian Church, 6135 Beechwood Drive, Sarasota. Children 4 years through 5th grade are welcome to this program held every Wednesday throughout the school year. Joy Company offers a safe and fun filled environment with supervision and guidance from caring and loving leaders. Children will have opportunities to make new friends, use their imagination, be creative, and try new skills. 941-922-1597. • Wednesday Night Program. Sept. 11, 5:45 p.m. Faith Presbyterian, 1201 N. Beneva Road. Dinner will be served at 5:45 p.m. followed by classes for all ages (nursery-adult). Program will conclude at 8 p.m. Cost for dinner is $5/person and $10/family. • IMPACT Men's Conference. Sept. 11-13. 6:30-9:30 p.m. The Source Church, 5412 E. S.R. 64, Bradenton. Cost: $25-$35. Three speakers Darryl Strawberry, Jim Bradford, Ralph Hoehne. A life-changing 3-day experience that hundreds of women have experienced, of being fully Saved, Healed and Empowered, but with powerful and unique messages just for men. Registration information: bit.ly/impact2019fl. • Singers welcome. Sept. 12, 7-9 p.m. The Sarasota Jewish Chorale welcomes singers to its rehearsals. We are an enthusiastic group gathering for spirited singing and camaraderie from September to March. Adults of all faiths and voice parts are invited to attend and sample us. Email Sharon Greene our Artistic Director at: email@example.com for more information. • Experience HU - Sound of Soul. Sept. 15, 10 a.m. Eckankar, 3650 F Webber St., Sarasota. There will be 15-20 minutes of chanting followed by 2-5 minutes quiet contemplation, and then discussion and light refreshments. 941-358-0325 and eckankarblog.org/sound-of-soul. • Book Clubs. Sept. 19, 7 p.m. Church of the Redeemer, 222 S. Palm Ave. The church's three book clubs are holding an open house to kick off the ’19 - ’20 book club season. This event is an opportunity to learn about each book group and their selections for the year: Night Shift (Evening Women’s Book Club); Books and Beyond (Men’s Book Group); Heart to Heart (Morning Women’s Book Club). redeemersarasota.org, 941-955-4263.
Manatee Classes, Meetings
• Addiction recovery program. Wednesdays at 7 p.m. First United Methodist Church, 603 11th St. W., Bradenton. High on Jesus program. Free child care. For a ride (men only) or just to talk, call Justin 941-374-2276.
• Chair-based aerobic exercises 9:30 a.m. every Wednesday and Friday. All ages and skill levels welcome. Roser Community Church, 512 Pine Avenue, Anna Maria. 941-778-0414.
• JOY (Just Older Youth) Brown Bag Lunch Series 11:00 a.m. on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of every month. Roser Community Church, 512 Pine Avenue, Anna Maria. 941-778-0414
• Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Venice, 1219 16th St. W., Bradenton, offers free housing counseling on issues such as foreclosure prevention, scam awareness and money management. Home buyer class offered monthly in English and Spanish. Office is open weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. 941-714-7829.
Sarasota Classes, Meetings
• Healing Masses. Fridays at 10 a.m. and Saturdays at 5:30 p.m. Church of the Redeemer, 222 S. Palm Ave. redeemersarasota.org, 941-955-4263.
• Youth Groups. Church of the Redeemer Youth Groups for High School and Middle school students return on Sunday and Wednesday evenings respectively, 6-7:30 p.m., in Gillespie Hall. For information, contact youth minister Christoph Stephenson-Moe, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 941-955-4263.
• Summer Choir. St. Boniface Episcopal Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key. Summer Choir for 10 a.m. Sunday worship services welcomes all who enjoy singing with and without experience, just the ability to match a pitch. Rehearsal is at 9 a.m. on Sunday mornings in the choir room in the church courtyard. Whether you would be a first-timer or an alumnus of any choir, you will be welcomed with warm hearts and voices. 941-349-5616.
• Pine Shores Presbyterian Church, 6135 Beechwood Ave., Sarasota, has begun a New Worshiping Community focusing on young adults and families with young children (but not limited to a particular age group or family configuration.) The Rev. Melanie Kim-Hamill is the pastor for NWC. Kim-Hamill also serves as chaplain at Ringling College of Art and Design, New College and USF Sarasota. The NWC is open and inclusive to all who want to engage in our changing culture,fulfilling a need for alternative worship opportunities. 941-922-1597.
• Wonderful Wednesday. St. Boniface Episcopal Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key. Evening Prayer is offered Wednesdays from 5:30-6 p.m. in the Parish Hall. This is a quiet service of scriptural lessons, affirmations of faith, prayers and restoration from the Book of Common Prayer led by volunteers. All who seek peace and renewed purpose with God and one another are welcome. A pot luck dinner follows for further fellowship, sharing and growing together in Christ. Bring a dish to share. No charge.
• The Church of St. Boniface Healing Mission, on the Boniface campus on Siesta Key, offers quiet prayer for healing of body, mind, or spirit provided by trained volunteers at no charge. Tuesday and Friday from 10 a.m.–12 p.m.; Wednesday, 2–4 p.m. 941-349-5616, x 335 for an appointment. Thursday Eucharist at 10 a.m. is a Healing Service.
• Adult Education. Sundays at 9 a.m. St. Boniface Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key. Sunday Scripture in depth study and discussion with a member of the clergy in the library. Boniface Book Study Group meets in the St. Francis Room.
• Balance and Movement classes. Thursdays at 9 a.m. Church of the Redeemer, 222 S. Palm Ave, Sarasota. The hour-long classes include proper walking techniques, balance exercises, weight shifting, core strengthening, use of hand-held weights and stretching. Faith Fitness, a gentle exercise program for older adults, meets at noon on Tuesdays through May 28. A donation of $5 is requested per person. Please register online. 941-955-4263. redeemersarasota.org.
• Adult Classes. Sundays at 10:20-10:40 a.m. Church of the Redeemer, 222 S. Palm Ave., Sarasota. Entitled, "Tell Me More!" This is a chance to "dig deeper" into scripture with our clergy. redeemersarasota.org. or 941-955-4263.
• Church of the Redeemer, 222 South Palm Ave., hosts two Morning Prayer Breakfasts for men: Fridays at 7:30 a.m., and Saturday at 7:30 a.m. Gillespie Hall. Church of the Redeemer hosts a Businessmen’s Bible Study, Wednesdays at 7 a.m., room 207.
• Bible studies for women. Church of the Redeemer, 222 South Palm Ave., Sarasota. The “Heart to Heart Women’s Bible Study” which meets Wednesdays, 9:45 a.m. and “ABCs”, an online study, with periodic Wednesday evening gatherings. Contact the parish office for more information. Church of the Redeemer hosts a weekly Adult Lectionary Bible Study, Tuesdays, room 207, noon - 1 p.m. 941-955-4263.
• GriefShare. Sundays at 6 p.m. Bethel Mennonite Church, 2985 Bethel Lane. A weekly seminar and support group designed to help you rebuild your life after losing a loved one. For more information, contact Jason Beiler, Pastor of Care, by phone or text at 941-957-8914, or by email at email@example.com.
• Brown Bag discussion group. Wednesdays at 12:15 p.m. Temple Sinai, 4631 South Lockwood Ridge Road. Join in spirited conversations and bring an open mind, free and open to the community. Participants are encouraged to introduce ideas for discussion. 941-924-1802 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• "Lunch with the Rabbis." Wednesdays at noon. Temple Emanu-El, 151 McIntosh Road, Sarasota. Join Rabbi Brenner Glickman and Rabbi Michael Shefrin for casual socializing as well as stimulating conversation on current events and topics of Jewish interest. Attendees are asked to bring their own brown-bag lunch; homemade dessert is provided. For more information, 941-371-2788.
• Youth Ignite youth group. Every Tuesday, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Colonial Oaks Baptist Church, 6901 Bee Ridge Road. You do not have to be a church member to attend. Activities, mission or service projects are scheduled on a regular basis. 941-377-2737.
• Holy Wonderings Bible Study. Wednesdays, 6-7 p.m. St. Paul Lutheran Church, 2256 Bahia Vista St. Sarasota. Free. Information: StPaul-Admin@verizon.net, www.StPaulSarasota.org, 941-955-6479.
• YogaFaith. Faith Presbyterian Church, 1201 N. Beneva Road, room 103. Come and distress and renew your mind, body, and soul. Tuesdays from 4:30-5:30 p.m. and Thursdays from noon-1 p.m. $8 per session. RSVP to email@example.com.
• Monday morning meditation, at 11 a.m., Pine Shores Presbyterian Church, at the 6114 Crestwood Drive building. 941-922-1597 ext. 108.
• Adult Education classes Sundays and Wednesdays. Church of the Palms, 3224 Bee Ridge Road. Youth activities, Bible studies and small groups available throughout the week. For a complete listing, download the Connect magazine via our website: www.churchofthepalms.org.
• Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church, 7461 Prospect Road, Sarasota. Services: Traditional on Sundays at 8 and 10:30 a.m. Contemporary on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. and Sunday at 10:30 a.m. Adult Bible Study and Sunday School for children and youth Sundays at 9:15 a.m. Mid-week Bible study Wednesdays at 7 a.m. (Men); and 10 a.m. (Women). For information, 941-355-2798.
• Center for Spiritual Living Manatee, Sunday celebration service, 11:30 a.m. Unity-in-the-Woods ChurchShare campus, 4200 32nd St. W., Bradenton. firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Chabad of Bradenton, 5712 Lorraine Road: Shabbat Services on Friday at 7 p.m., and family-friendly services on Saturday at 9:30 a.m., followed by a buffet Kiddush. Talmud Classes are Mondays from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. No prior knowledge of the Talmud or Hebrew is necessary. Book fee is $45; Torah Studies are Saturday at 9 a.m. 752-3030.
• Christ Church of Longboat Key, Presbyterian USA, 6400 Gulf of Mexico Drive: Sunday services at 10 a.m. 383-8833.
• Church of the Nativity Episcopal Church, 5900 N. Lockwood Ridge Road, Sarasota: Sunday services at 8 and 10:15 a.m. Churchofthenativity.com.
• Crossroads Christian Church, 1400 10th St. W., Palmetto. Sunday Worship Service, 10 a.m. Sunday Adult & Youth Life Services, 9 a.m. Bible Study Wednesday, 10 a.m. Prayer Group Thursday, 10 a.m. floridacrossroads.com or 941-729-2327.
• First Presbyterian Church, 1402 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton: contemporary worship at 9 a.m. and traditional worship at 11 a.m. Discipleship and Sunday School classes for all ages begin at 10 a.m. Child care is available for children ages 5 and under. firstpresbradenton.com, 746-6141.
• First Presbyterian Church, 2050 Oak St., Sarasota. 9:00 a.m. contemporary and 11 a.m. traditional services. 955-8119
• First United Methodist Church, 603 11th St. W., Bradenton: Sunday worship service at 10:30 a.m. Adult Sunday School is offered at 9:15 a.m. fumcb.com, 747-4406.
• Gulf Gate Church, 6501 S. Lockwood Ridge Road, Sarasota: Sundays at 9:15 a.m. (Communion on first Sunday).
• Living Lord Lutheran Church, 11107 Palmbrush Trail, Lakewood Ranch. Sunday services 8 a.m., 9:15 a.m. and 11 a.m. Sunday School at 9:15 in the sanctuary. Bible study Wednesday at 1 p.m. 941-753-9365.
• Manatee Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 322 15th St. W., Bradenton: Sunday service at 10:30 a.m. Coffee Fellowship 11:30 a.m. 746-0067.
• Manatee United Methodist Church, 315 15th St. E., Bradenton. Sunday service 11:00 a.m. manateeumc.com or 941-746-0101.
• Northminster Presbyterian Church, 3131 61st St. at Lockwood Ridge Road, one block south of University. Sunday worship 10:30 a.m., Sunday Bible study at 9 a.m. Weekday Bible study Tuesdays at 10 a.m and 4 p.m., and Thursdays at 10 a.m. Midweek prayer time on Wednesdays 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and 4-6 p.m. sanctuary open to anyone for prayer or meditation. Go online for information about activities, meetings, Wednesday Tai Chi, upcoming social events and gatherings. npcsarasota.com or call 941-355-4729.
• Oak Pointe Church (Presbyterian, U.S.A.) 1215 Bayshore Gardens Pkwy., Bradenton. Sunday Worship Service 10:30 a.m., Bible Study, Mondays at 10:30 a.m., Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. 941-355-0440.
• Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Catholic Church, 833 Magellan Drive. Saturday vigil, 4 p.m., Sunday 7:30 and 10 a.m. Masses Mon.-Sat. 8 a.m. Reconciliation Saturdays, 3-3:45 p.m. 941-755-1826
• Palmetto Presbyterian Church, 1115 10th Ave. West, Palmetto. Sundays, Bible Study 9 a.m., Worship Celebration 10:25 a.m. 941-722-3513.
• Quaker Friends Meeting, 3139 57th St., Sarasota: Silent Worship Sundays at 10 a.m. 724-5009.
• St. James United Methodist Church, 2049 North Honore Ave., Sarasota. Sundays, 10 a.m.; Wednesdays, 6:30 p.m. 941-377-6180 during office hours 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday. saintjamesumc.org.
• St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, 2704 33rd Ave. W., Bradenton: Masses Saturdays at 4 p.m. and Sundays at 7:30, 9, 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Weekday Masses are at 8 a.m.
• St. Jude Catholic Church, 3930 17th St., Sarasota: Divine Mercy Hour at 6 p.m. Friday. 941-955-3934.
• St. Margaret of Scotland Episcopal Church, 8700 State Rd. 72/ Clark Road, Sarasota. Contemplative worship at 8 a.m. and music and celebration at 9:30 a.m. Holy Eucharist at both services. 941-925-2525.
• St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church, 11315 Palmbrush Trail, Lakewood Ranch: Sunday worship services at 7:45 a.m. Rite I; 9 a.m. Contemporary/Family service Rite II; and 11 a.m. Traditional Choir Rite II. Nursery from 9 a.m.-noon. 941-751-5048.
• Sarasota Center of Light, 852 S. Tuttle Ave., Sarasota, Sunday Morning Celebration Service with Children’s Sunday School available at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Evening Message Service at 7 p.m. Wednesday Candlelight Healing Service at 7 p.m. 941-953-6622.
• Spirit of Unity Church, Bantam Plaza, 2225 14th St., Bradenton: Alpha course on Thursdays at 5:30 p.m., Course of Love on Wednesdays at 10 a.m., Book Study on Tuesdays at 5 p.m. Sunday services are at 10 a.m. 941-756-0067.
• St. Thomas More Catholic Church, 2506 Gulf Gate Drive, Sarasota: Saturday at 4 p.m.; Sunday at 8, 9:45 and 11:30 a.m. 941-923-1691.
• Temple Beth Israel, 567 Bay Isles Road, Longboat Key: Friday evening services at 8 p.m. (except for the last Friday of the month, when services are at 5:30 p.m.) Saturday services are at 10 a.m. 383-3428.
• Unitarian Universalists of Lakewood Ranch, Hyatt Place/Lakewood Ranch, 6021 Exchange Way, Lakewood Ranch. Sunday service 10 a.m. www.uulakewoodranch.org/ 941-748-3100.
• Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3011 19th Ave. W, Bradenton. Worship service 10:30 a.m. Sundays with Pastor R. C. Smith. 941-748-2848.
Adding your item
To submit your news or worship time, go to heraldtribune.com/submit and click on Submit Community News. All items must include the street address and telephone number; the deadline is 5 p.m. Tuesdays for publication on Saturday.