Disrespect? Hey, Ray Beasock will start saying Ohio State is No. 1 when The Associated Press says they are. He’s just a stubborn creature of habit.
I admit it, freely, fully and without a doubt: I can be one stubborn individual.
My father, rest his soul, would’ve told you that. He told me it for all my life after all.
My friends will tell you that, and yes the life of a sportswriter does allow me to make friends. Although sometimes they don’t like to claim me. Might be my stubbornness.
But what does this have to do with college football?
I’m glad you asked.
I have been going by The Associated Press Top 25 Poll for as long as I remember following college football.
So you’ll have to forgive me, especially you Ohio State fans, if I’m not going by the College Football Playoff rankings when I list teams by their rankings.
That means I’m not saying Ohio State is No. 1, unless they get ranked No. 1 by the AP.
I guess I’m just set in my ways, or maybe it’s a lingering dislike of the Buckeyes from when they beat Miami for the national title game almost two decades ago?
I’m not above giving Ohio State its due when the Buckeyes deserve it.
The team they have this year hasn’t really been tested. That’ll come, and if it so happens that Ohio State is ranked No. 1 by the AP, I will give them their due.
But until then, I’m sticking with the measuring stick I grew up with. I’m sure Buckeyes fans will find some way to beat me over the head with it, but I’m too stubborn to change my ways.
Speaking of something not changing, my Pigskin Picks luck hasn’t turned around, but I’m not giving up just yet. Too stubborn, ya know!
Onto this week’s picks.
• Vanderbilt at No. 10 Florida: Vanderbilt has given Florida some issues in the past. I don’t think Florida is in any mood after last week to play around. Gators 34, Commodores 11.
• Florida State at Boston College: Willie Taggart is gone. Florida State fans rejoiced at this news. Can they turn the season around however? Seminoles 31, Eagles 27.
• Louisville at Miami: I don’t know what to make of Miami. It beats Virginia, loses to Georgia Tech and then beats Florida State. It’s like one of those Sudoku puzzles. Hurricanes 28, Cardinals 21.
• No. 16 Southeastern at Faulkner: Southeastern is still fighting for a playoff spot in the NAIA tournament. Don’t look for that to be extinguished this week. Fire 45, Eagles 20.
• Ave Maria at Warner: It’s been a long, rough year for Warner. Ave Maria isn’t going to make it any easier. Gyrenes 34, Royals 16.
• No. 1 LSU at No. 2 Alabama: The game everyone in the SEC has been waiting for, no matter what division you’re in. If this was in Death Valley, I’d go with the Tigers. Tua’s also back for Alabama. Crimson Tide 23, Tigers 19.
• No. 5 Penn State at No. 13 Minnesota: The Governor’s Victory Bell is on the line in this battle of unbeaten teams. Penn State is No. 4 in the CFP and should stay there. Nittany Lions 31, Golden Gophers 25.
• No. 18 Iowa at No. 16 Wisconsin: This one is not only for the Heartland Trophy but to see who stays in contention for the Big Ten West Division. Badgers 29, Hawkeyes 14.
Last week: 4-3. Overall: 64-20.
Ray Beasock can be reached at 863-802-7553 or firstname.lastname@example.org.